Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Serve for the organization, not hoping for the organization to serve you.

Discussed something heavy tonight. We only went back home after the coffee shop start to clean up and prepare to close their shop.

Thinking about RC, this volunteer organization which i commited since 11 year ago. 11 years, is not a short period but not long either. From the beginning till now, i saw more and more. Reality of life become clearer and clearer. I had to admit, RC taught me a lot of things and give me a lot of chances to be who i am today. Today, i started to see the dark side of it and think about it. 

During this 11 years, i saw lots of people coming in and going out. These included members and officers. They all leave with various reasons. I feel hard when i saw people leaving, it means RC will lost another manpower in its noble cause. The reason which really disappoint me is when they think that they had achieved enough and it is time for them to leave. Some thinks that what they achieved is already sufficient in their age and nothing more RC can give to them. I'm glad i step into RC with a good direction and stand firm on it until today. I strongly believe that volunteerism is always about what we can sacrifice for the organization, not what RC can give to us. 

Volunteerism had also become the victim of reality in life. Nowadays people don't do something which doesn't benefits them. It is crazy to do something for free. Yes, i admit i am crazy, i always do things for free. I am crazy because i stand firm in my cause and to believes in my belief. Well, donating to voluntary organization is to decrease taxes, joining RC for the certificates and medals, looking for status and powers. It all make senses in reality since "i need certificate to optimize my chances to get into universities". RC were been "used", not "served". "Sincerity" had sank into the sea of reality, and "volunteerism" had become a mask for a puppet show in a community theatre. 

Situation which i now stand in is like rowing a boat upstream, fighting the waves. It is about struggle. I will be studborn in rowing my boat up. I stand firm in what i do know. I won't let reality pull me down. The only reason for me to be so "stupid" is because i had a clear vision in what i do. Serve for the organization, not hoping for the organization to serve you. I hope everyone had the right mindset from the beginning, then we will be a strong team. Let us be clear with our vision and mission, put service in front. Then we will struggle along. You will never be alone in your struggle if we share the same vision. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No matter what, just do what you think it's worth. Volunteerism still comes first afterall..

caishenbao said...

I sokong sama lu...
Same feeling, there lot of people, joining just for their own benefit.. Gain prize, gain power, gain famous.. but do nothing at all... And never contribute, but just take in what not belong to them..

Ignore other, be yourself